Visa and Entry

When planning your visit to the MPI CPfS, the first step is to carefully check the entry requirements from your home country with the nearest German diplomatic mission (embassy, consulate) which you find on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office.
Visa applications have to be submitted to the German Embassy/Consulate in your home country. Generally, foreigners need a visa to enter the country and a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) for stays of a longer duration. Visa applications take time, please start assembling all documents needed well in advance of your planned visit.
Visas are issued for a particular purpose of stay in Germany (i.e. scientific work, studies, business visit, tourism).

Residence Registration (only important for stays longer than 4 weeks):

During your first week in Germany, you will have to register at the local residence registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt).

Residence Permit:

Everybody (except for EU citizens) staying in Germany for more than 3 months must officially obtain a residence permit. After completion of your residence registration, you need to apply for your residence permit at the local immigration office (Ausländerbehörde).
Registration forms are available at the Visitors’ program.

Zur Redakteursansicht